Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

Planned Parenthood in the News Like Crazy!

I will start this blog entry off with this: I think abortion is a terrible thing and I wish no one ever had to face a situation in which that may be an option. PLEASE do not stop reading this post once you have read that first line; I promise there is an intelligent point that does not viciously attack people for their opinions as I respect all of them

Personally, I would never have one (if I was a woman) unless it threatened my life or had other serious health consequences. However, I will never know that given that I have never nor will I ever be in that position nor have I ever been raped- therefore, I think that is to be kept in the hands of provider and patient, not the government. Therefore, I do not think any of us should pass judgement on others (and even to begin with: who are we to judge others?! I think that is someone else's job if you are a believer).

Recently a pharmacist was charged by a pregnant patient for incorrectly dispensing the drug methotrexate (an anti-neoplastic drug used in certain cancers and rheumatoid arthritis conditions). This is a serious offense. This medication does have the ability to cause fetal abnormalities and, in rare cases, and abortion. I hope I never make a serious ever like this.

Recently, Planned Parenthood has come under fire by several activist groups on both sides of the anti-abortion/anti-choice/pro-life as well as the pro-choice/pro-abortion movements. I'm using all those terms to describe each group cause one of the other uses the other as an inflammatory term to fire up each side. These terms are very complex and have a variety of meanings. Nobody likes abortion. However, we have not focused on other very good services planned parenthood provides: health-screenings, drug testing, STD testing, birth-control (reduces the number of abortions), family planning services for those trying to get pregnant, adoption referrals, as well as dreaded abortion itself. The definition of life is fuzzy for scientists and religious folks alike at the moment of conception and through the first term of pregnancy. Recall that it is illegal to get a 'partial-birth' abortion. Planned parenthood doesn't provide that service.

People make the argument that they don't want their tax dollars going to planned parenthood. Well I'll make the argument that I sure as hell, if not even more so, don't want my tax dollars going to fun these wars that are not making us any safer and are only putting our troops and other civilians in other countries in the face of death. Many on the national political affiliation of conservative and 'pro-life' both favor the wars overseas (which result in hundreds of thousands of deaths) while they are very opposed to birth-control and access to abortion services. The fact is, when abortion was illegal, people used various means to abort their unborn children. Wires, hangers, pill-overdoses, and even suicide. Woman are forcibly impregnated in various countries throughout the world and have no choice over this use of their body. If all goes according to the current conservative house, rape victims will also have no choice over the use of their body either. How disgusting that a government such as the US would impede on a woman's body in that sense.

Who is to say that if you are raped and impregnated, you must have the child?
Who is to say that if you are going to be at risk for death by delivering a child that you must carry it to term?
Who is to say that birth control is not right for you?
Who is to say that an ectopic pregnancy should not be aborted for the mother's safety?

The answer to all the above is NOT the government. It is the patient-provider team that is responsible for this.

For those of you who say you are against these services and abortion: that is a beautiful opinion that you are entitled to by choice since you are in America.

For those of you who are for these services: it is also a beautiful thing that you are allowed to have that opinion and a choice for you as well.

My point is you have a choice to believe or not to believe. You can ignore or not ignore the crises that women face. Women have been oppressed since the beginning of western and eastern societies: the very idea that a woman could be forced to term by her government is a heinous thought. Just think of yourself in that situation.

There is nothing black and white about this issue: it's all a grey issue which is what the 'choice' movement is about. You may chose to or not to do this. As for whether or not federal funds should be used is another debate. Just think of ALL THE OTHER THINGS that your tax dollars are used for that you don't want them to be used for and you'll find that this is JUST ONE on a LONG LIST of things that you wouldn't want your tax dollars put to.

That's all I have for tonight. I hope that this doesn't come down to a showdown but luckily 2/3 of our federal branches are in democratic hands. And let's not forget that the supreme court already finalized the constitutionality of the abortion issue: no one likes it and you are free from it by choice like all other things in America (ok except paying taxes!).



No comments:

Post a Comment